Yes, I know, it is somewhat formulaic to have a scary things post at Halloween, but why not? Following, in no particular order, are the scary (wrong) things communicators do:
- Not know their effect from their affect
- Declare that social media isn’t necessary
- On the other hand, think that all they need to do is Tweet something out
- Think a USP is something like a USB
- Overlook the basics: not checking the address is correct, for example
- Network all the time or not at all
- Steer clear of professional development events because “there’s nothing new to learn”
- Use corporate-speak phrases just to achieve buy-in or ramp up their core competency
- Fail to adapt to changing conditions (“We will send out the press release, I don’t care that Hurricane Sandy just devastated New York.”)
I know you have a few good ones to add–so please, please add them in the comments!
Have a happy Halloween! Hope you get more treats than tricks.