How many blogs do you read or follow? I have about 100 on my blog reader, and I read dozens more (OK, it is an occupational hazard). Now think about the blogs you read regularly, what do you like about them? If I were to hazard a guess, the number one thing that makes that blog great (for you) is
Relevant and/or interesting content
You would not read it if it did not offer you the information you like to read about, whether your thing is food, politics, journalism, PR, beer or any number of other subjects. But there are other reasons blogs are great.
Great blogs are:
- Shareable (no sharing buttons, no new readers)
- Interactive (allow for discussion in the comments)
- Findable (not only on by search but also on your main website)
- Pleasing to the eye (design does matter)
- Scannable (headings, bullet points, lists all help)
- Well written (or well spoken if a video or audio blog)
What would you add? Please tell me what makes you read a blog regularly.
I will be introducing a new feature where I rate blogs based on these attributes. Watch for it soon!
Want to have a great blog? Sign up for the next How to Write Your Blog workshop on 11/12/13 in Washington, DC. Get all the details and register today (early registration prices available until Friday, November 1 at midnight).